Friday, January 1, 2010

A New Year - A New Beginning

Hello world!

As an introduction, my name is Sharon. I'm just an ordinary woman trying to make her way through life. I'm married with two kids, have one grandson, and am owned by two golden retrievers.

In this time where New Year's resolutions run rampant, we hope this time they'll stick. Earlier, I told my husband this is going to be the year of reckoning, a year of great expectations. So, what am I expecting from 2010?

I expect to become a genuine, authentic writer!

If someone had told me five years ago I'd be doing this, I'd have cracked up. I've always been a decent writer but never imagined I'd want to take it up seriously. Music has always been my life's passion, and it still is one of my great loves (I'm a classically trained singer/vocal coach). Sometimes we need a change, no matter how old we get.

I suppose writing isn't too far a stretch from music. Both are creative artforms used for expression of oneself. However, with singing, unless you're a songwriter, you're singing someone else's material. Of course there are endless ways of interpreting a song or piece, but the bottom line is, it's someone else's material. With writing, you're creating the story. You're in charge of the character. You're in the driver's seat.

About four years ago, my interest in writing grew. I'd started a little writing group, and one of our members got me into National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). Every November, participants are challenged to write a 50,000 word book from November 1st-30th. You turn off your inner editor and just bang away at the keyboard. Sounds daunting, right? Well, it was. I never thought I'd be disciplined enough to write a book.

Long story short, I did it! The thing needs a huge overhaul, but at least I banged it out. It gave me a huge confidence builder.

So now, here I am, trying to get my writing career off the ground. The purpose of this blog is to help motivate others, to share what I've learned and am still learning, to share my successes and failures, and to keep myself motivated to keep writing, no matter how many rejections slips I receive.

Happy 2010 and many happy returns.

No comments:

Post a Comment